Thursday, August 27, 2009
The Big Store (Sid)
Once upon a time there was a store that our family called “The Big Store”.
My father Jack was the obvious architect of The Big Store. His influence is clear in the roof design and the buried railroad ties. The architectural detail atypical of Jack is the door opening outwards, a detail I am inclined to shrug off as one of those exceptions that proves the rule. Signage isn't ordinarily considered an architectural art but it must be taken as an integral element in Jack's work. Impartial observation, momentarily leaving behind traditional and perhaps ingrained architectural theoretical concepts and expectations, reveals that the signage “makes” this structure. I suggest that the student of architecture may take this opportunity to do a little experiment: Close your right eye and pointing both thumbs inwards, cover the signage. Notice how the meaning that had been emanating from the structure now ceases. The penumbra fades. The structure simply “dies” without the signage. Here we must agree with Mies', “God is in the details.”
The sign artist's identity is lost, however the treatment of the percentage symbol might allow the assiduous researcher some clue. Was the artist not familiar with this ordinary symbol? Perhaps not. The planning for the percentage sign demonstrates that the sign artist had no idea what to expect at the moment he or she was asked to produce the symbol. I am absolutely certain that Alma, my mother, had nothing whatsoever to do with the lettering. Alma was artistic, had good handwriting and was quite good at signage. Furthermore, she most likely did know how to make a percentage symbol. I believe that she successfully mastered high school mathematics well beyond the percentage concept. I am fairy certain that my father did not do the lettering. Jack was from dark side of signage in particular and handwriting in general. His signs were terrible. However his lettering did have more energy than is demonstrated on this building. I would expect a bit more slant and spontaneity. In any case I really can't imagine Jack on a ladder with a paint brush. On the other hand, Jack always printed in all capital letters, always, always. So I conclude he directed the operation and it was most likely one of the 2 male lackies he kept on the payroll, Gilmore or Stanley, that applied the rich brush strokes. The percentage sign does raise the question of Jack's formal education. Jack certainly could do arithmetic operations at a high level of competency and working with percentages presented him no difficulty. Probably he was self taught and was most comfortable manipulating numbers in his head. We might expect nomenclature to be a weakness.
Alas, we must leave for another time the rich and fertile non-architectural elements evident in this photograph. It is a rich lode that awaits a miner, however it is beyond the scope of my discussion today.
Outside this photographic view is an auxiliary structure that was built at the same time and must be considered within the gestalt of the architectural realization. Sadly no trace of this structure remains and for better or worse the photographer chose not to include it in his composition. Luckily my memory, while ordinarily weak, is fairly strong on this detail. I personally spent an unreasonable amount of time in this auxiliary structure which is perhaps the reason for the strong memory. Of course I refer to the 2 holer, a brick shithouse, a public outhouse. If a customer at “The Big Store” asked to use the restroom or washroom, they obviously didn't know the adventure that awaited. By no stretch of the imagination could this building be described as a place to wash or rest. I personally have no recollection of taking a shit in the shithouse, but I must have. Where else was there? I remember it so well because I held the esteemed position of shithouse maintenance. My Aunt Jean bestowed this honor upon me along with a bag of lime used to lower the horrid smell a notch or two. But that is besides the point, isn't it? Architecturally the building was a perfect summary and echo of the larger structure. Nor were the details forgotten! The same hand painted LADIES and MEN on the concrete blocks over the twin doorways. Shakespeare, but in a different realm.
There is much more to say about the architecture of this structure. The roof alone deserves a separate treatment which, god willing (one of Jack's favorite expressions) I will do. The interior was more complex than you would expect from the exterior and that will have to wait as well. It is late. Adieu.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hmmm...
ReplyDeletePLEASE tell me that you didn't write this gem in one sitting. It is incomprehensible to me how you manage the balance of simple, ala Hemingway style, in some sentences (The penumbra fades.) intermingled with very complex sentences (Impartial observation, momentarily leaving behind traditional and perhaps ingrained architectural theoretical concepts and expectations, reveals that the signage “makes” this structure. I suggest that the student of architecture may take this opportunity to do a little experiment: Close your right eye and pointing both thumbs inwards, cover the signage.) The rhythm of language remains very authentic throughout and the variety of sentence structure moves the piece forward with a flow as though you are actually talking to the reader, reminising. (Postscript: both thumbs inwards provided the truth of your words).
Humor occurs, of course, when the writer deftly sets up the reader with a more literary reference (Here we must agree with Mies', “God is in the details.”) and then shocks the reader, surprises her with an earthy line: "Of course I refer to the 2 holer, a brick shithouse, a public outhouse." One of your writing talents lies in this ability to blend outrageous images (rats' tails falling off) with illusions to classical literature and art.
Conversely, your writing may be too sophisticated for the ordinary reader. Some may be too prissy to appreciate "shithouse" and those who appreciate "shithouse" may be lost with vocabulary like "penumbra" (i.e. Gilmore would probably be dumbfounded at this point in the narrative although he certainly knew the big store and little shithouse intimately. Since I'm uncertain that he could actually read, this may be a nonissue. Gilmore had quite a large dick though; did I ever mention how I know this? Gilmore probably deserves a chapter of his own. Due to his lack of basic literacy, I guarantee that Gilmore was NOT the signage artist though.)
Leaving Gilmore behind (let's NOT give him a chapter), I shall return to the critique: Your blend of erudite and earthy gives your writing the "rich and fertile ... elements" that entertain us and always draw laughter. My laughter awoke my husband at 4:00 a.m. two rooms from our bedroom as I sneaked from the chamber to answer the 500 emails that called to me from Cyberspace.
Sidney Hemmingway responded:
ReplyDeleteWow, you are fun to write to at 2:00 AM. Hemmingway?
This rough cut was in one hemodialysis sitting as I'm sure you will come to clearly see after the jet lag and double culture shock leaves your brain.