Toto. As I ponder the name of this blip on the map, I wonder which came first - the blip or the dog. Geographically Toto centers around a 3-way crossroads of a railroad track, Range Road, and the Toto Road in Starke County, Indiana. Starke County, according to the most recent census, more or less supports a population of 23,556. My guestimate would be that less than 100 of those 23, 556 live in Toto proper. Google reveals that Toto earns a Class Code U6 designation as being "A populated place that is not a census designated or incorporated place having an official federally recognized name" but strangely enough, also possesses an unofficial name, Rye. I have not a clue why such an outlier could possible deserve two names. Some really old timers may remember Rye, but our immediate family only knew the place as Toto. Apparently our Grandfather Newman fiddled his violin at Saturday night dances in Rye at a Gleaners Hall there in the 30s, but whether our mother or an aunt related that tidbit accurately cannot be verified.
Toto, as some of you Trivia whizzes may recall, is also the name of Dorothy's dog in L. Frank Baum's Oz series. Wikipedia informs us that "the name is pronounced with a long 'O', a homonym of 'toe toe.'" That's how we natives of Toto also pronounced our home of origin and probably provides some subconscious explanation on why I so enjoyed running around Toto barefooted. What you may not know is that Baum penned some of his books in a summer cottage at Bass Lake, Indiana, 8.36 miles SE of Toto. From Wikipedia, we can also learn that Baum did not divulge Toto's breed. Baum describes Toto in 1900 as "a little black dog, with long, silky hair and small black eyes that twinkled merrily on either side of his funny, wee nose."
The funny, wee nose of Toto (the blip) also twinkled merrily as one of the original discount shopping centers beginning before 1950 and drawing customers as far away as Chicago, Illinois in its heyday. The roots of our family life truly begin in Toto; although after our parents' Toto business flourished, we journeyed to our new home, which we and our school friends then considered a mansion, located - where else - at Bass Lake. When a professor in my doctoral program at IU declared to our cohort group that "all of life is but a circle," we wondered if he either had seen Disney's The Lion King one too many times with his grandchildren or indulged in one too many hits of tequila. The tequila could be forgiven as a necessary crutch so our prof could bear facing the lily-white middle classness of his graduate students as he struggled to impress upon them his passion for multi-cultural education. Dr. Ovando, forgive me, for as I ponder the truths of your lectures, I continue to find proof of the circleness of life. See example of Toto and Bass Lake above. Perhaps I didn't give the circle enough credit and need to rethink my life's geometrical structures.
Trust me though that a major multi-cultural element of Toto consisted of my Jewish father and the Jewish Weinberg family who ran another Toto business farther east on the Toto Road. The other cultural division in Starke County existed between the "hillbillies" who settled in Toto, originally from Salyersville KY, and the town people in the county seat of Knox. Folks from Knox organized many clubs and societies, like Rainbow Girls, Elks, DAR, etc. to insure a separation of the Jews, Hillbillies, Catholics and original Christian proper Knoxonians.
Our mother, Alma Newman, grew up in Starke County and ran barefooted on her family's farm in rural North Judson, less than 5 miles SW of Toto. Thus, our ongoing battle about wearing shoes still makes no sense to me. Nine years after her death and 58 years removed from our first Toto home, I sit here defiantly drafting this memory with bare feet - sans slippers. A second after her high school graduation, out mother escaped Starke County via the nearest train station to Chicago, where she joined her older sisters looking for adventure, work, a degree in architecture and primarily to create a life away from her mother and the farm.
Opposites predictably attracted. Our pale-blond, fair-skinned, green-eyed Polish/Catholic mother married our dark, brown-eyed Jewish father, Jack Marks. Dad grew up in a family business of the general store variety in the south side of Chicago pre-Projects era. The success of a small storefront in the city early in their relationship prompted Jack and Alma to try their hand at renting a Toto store on weekends. This structure became known as the Hewlett Store in the Hoosier tradition of naming a building for its first owners. Bringing close-out and bankruptcy merchandise to the Toto site quickly erupted into a net profit much more dramatic than the Chicago store. Dad, Mom, and 4-year-old Marilynn then moved full-time to Indiana. The Hewlett store conveniently included a small apartment attached to the back of the store. Said home consisted of a kitchen with a handpump in the sink, a living room with a coal stove along one wall, and two small bedrooms.
What about a bathroom, you ask? The handpump in the sink should provide you with a hint that this humble abode lacked a true bathroom. My brother Sidney (named after our father's father in the Jewish tradition of honoring the dead) remembers a "shithouse" adjoining the store our parents later built across the street from the Hewlett Store to accommodate the growing business. His memory of the new store, called the "Big Store" no doubt is flawed. Sidney, being 5 years younger than I am, obviously blurred memories of what I call the "outhouse" by the Hewlett Store with memories of the "shithouse" by the "Big Store." It is unlikely that Steven, our brother 5 years younger than Sid, would remember who is correct. (It is important however to note the preciseness of 5 years separating each sibling and celebrate the compulsive timing and control of our mother in spite of imprecise birth control in the 40s and 50s), However recognizing that his parents and teachers considered Steven as the child prodigy, perhaps Steve might in fact shed some insight as to the number of outhouses and where they were located. Another important note at this point to contemplate: Grandmother Marks Cohan refused to avail herself of the amenities of the Hewlett Store outhouse. On the rare occasion when she left Chicago to visit the Jack Marks contingent and she needed to relieve herself, her son had to drive her to the nearest flush toilet in a civilized Knox restaurant, only a 10 minute drive north.
My remembered outhouse perched steps from the kitchen door of the house portion of the Hewlett Store. The wooden structure could be accessed by a swinging door and kept shut during usage with an o-ring and swinging latch that resembled a backward question mark. At night, our mother put an old-fashioned chamber pot in the kitchen to save us from the trip outside in the dark or when our bladders demanded instant gratification. I vividly recall sitting on the chamber pot one evening, shrieking as a startled mouse dashed across the linoleum floor. Imagine the feeling of being frozen on the pot, unable to move because urine was still flowing, and not wanting to chance the accidental encounter of rodent feet or a slimy tail swiping across my bare feet or legs. To this day I shudder remembering that trapped feeling and remain terrified of all varieties of the rodent family. At that moment, I admit, I wondered why I so resisted wearing slippers. After the scare subsided, I steadfastly remained defiant about my barefootedness though. As I headed to the chamber pot from then on, my concession was to methodically turn on lights and produce a noise (like banging on the living room stove) in the hope of frightening away an errant mouse before it returned the favor.
More about the Hewlett house in next writing...
Friday, August 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Just a thought.....could the misshapen percentage symbol and the backward question mark hook be related? Perhaps Jack's true fortune was built on latch design and hardware development.
ReplyDeleteSarcasm is thick in this house lately. Pardon the add-on for my humor's sake.
KQ
Memories of Toto"
ReplyDeleteKeep this going. Most enjoyable to read.
Sid was on to something with memory... there is a central theme here about collective memory within a family that would be interesting to explore.
Small details like the nature and location of an outhouse force me as a reader to evaluate whether the difference in memory matters (probably not with an outhouse), create a mental picture and then decide whether to change that mental picture when I read the other person's description.
I suspect that there are mundane and also more serious / intense memories to be considered. Both would be interesting. Toto is (I think) an engaging backdrop.
Brian
I was the privileged one and was born into a house with indoor plumbing.
ReplyDeleteHowever, we had 20 acres and occasionally I would use a tree - my brother Would call me an animal for doing that. Yes, I am, in the Order Mammaliania.
I do recall the outhouse at Toto; that when mom build the new drape store - she put
In indoor facilities. (circa '67??)
The prodigy writes. This is where I recall the outhouse.
ReplyDeleteThis is my memory - memories have A LOT of plasticity to them.
Now as far as the Hewlett House is concerned: Joan and Sid had me watch the house when they went on vacation one summer. I only got yelled
At because I did not recondition a Calphanon pan correctly.
So I took that as other activities that did occur in their absence were perfectly acceptable.
So my memories of the Hewlett House are quite shifted from my sister’s memories.
(Editor Note: Detailed Map of Toto was included.)
All looks good except the outhouse. Now we’ve got a 3rd outhouse – oh my! The outhouses are multiplying like rabbits.
ReplyDeleteRemember that there was the Hewlett house that was a part of the old Hewlett store. The dates are vague, but that whole building was torn down (along with the infamous outhouse) to build the drapery store. Then there was the “real” Hewlett house that the Hewlett’s lived in to the north of the drapery store that Mom bought and remodeled for Joan and Sid as their first home. It had a toilet that flushed, running water, and the works!
I can’t believe that any outhouses remained in 1963 on the New Toto Store, Inc. property.
Also, remember that Dad built a “farmer’s market” somewhere near the Teen Store and we had glass factory stuff stored in there. Sid probably knows when that complex bit the dust.
Can’t believe how the memories are flowing …
I remember one summer grabbing Brad who was working at the store.
ReplyDeleteI sternly told him, “Brad, we have something to do and we are going to do it together NOW!”
He slumped down in anticipation of the onerous chore that we were about to embark upon.
We went behind the Hewlett house – which Mom still owned, but I don’t think S&J were living there
Maybe it was right after they moved to Knox.
“OK, Brad we are going to pick and eat some strawberries, NOW”
He did not seem to mind the task.
Ah, now that you mention it, I recall a creaky floor store where the drapery store wound up.
ReplyDeleteDid it have a crawl space – I seem to recall playing in something like that?
I seem to recall something about it that I discovered just before it was torn down and was disappointed when it was torn down.
Dammed if I remember what the hell it was.
I’ll trust your memory of everything.
I was too young.
I will give a happy memory of Alma. She with T-square designed the Drape store herself.
She told me how she wanted to be an architect and was taking night classes in Chicago –
But the professor told her, in spite of how talented she was, that as a woman she would never
Get work and so she dropped out. So designing the store was her revenge in a way. She mapped out where every truss went.
She seemed to be overjoyed in bringing the plans to builders for quotes, I went with her, – Johnson building in Toto
Got the contract (Jerry, the son, was a tall guy who couldn’t dribble worth a shit, but racked up b-ball points just on
Height advantage alone.)
You do realize, Marilynn –don’t you, that people like Dave and Bri and Courtney and Melissa think we are
Sort of senile old couts for even bringing this stuff up?
“The almanac details are interesting below. The toto/toto/toe toe stuff is fun and interesting. Toto has so much opportunity to describe sensations and memories (what a shoe warehouse smells like... dusty cardboard, leather, slightly damp.) As a child, I found it almost unlike any place I have ever known... but on second thought it smelled and felt like many other places that we visited on buying trips... old hardware stores in south side Chicago, cash register warehouses, the inside of delivery trucks.
ReplyDeleteI really am captivated by this last set of letters. I could see a very interesting book or set of essays coming out of this.”
RE: Steven said.
ReplyDeleteClarification: The builder of the Drapery Store was George Koucheck. He was the general manager of Johnson's Lumber in Toto. Walter Johnson the founder had died suddenly leaving a wife and 3 kids a couple years prior. Jerry Johnson was the 2nd son, 6'11". He played basketball at Purdue. In 1969 Jerry played center the entire game and had to guard Lew Alcindor in the NCAA Finals. Alcindor scored only 37 points. I mean only. He was used to scoring more. I have played pick up ball against Jerry. He could dribble just fine.