Thursday, March 11, 2010

For Jack (Yankel ben Ephriam) by Sidney (Ephriam ben Yankel)

יִתְגַּדַּל וְיִתְקַדַּשׁ שְׁמֵהּ רַבָּא
בְּעָלְמָא דְהוּא עָתִיד לְאִתְחַדָּתָא
וּלְאַחֲיָאָה מֵתַיָא
וּלְאַסָּקָא יָתְהוֹן לְחַיֵּי עָלְמָא
וּלְמִבְנֵא קַרְתָּא דִירוּשְׁלֵם
וּלְשַׁכְלָלָא הֵיכְלֵהּ בְּגַוַּהּ
וּלְמֶעְקַר פֻּלְחָנָא נֻכְרָאָה מְאַרְעָא
וּלַאֲתָבָא פֻּלְחָנָא דִשְׁמַיָּא לְאַתְרֵהּ
וְיַמְלִיךְ קֻדְשָׁא בְּרִיךְ הוּא
בְּמַלְכוּתֵהּ וִיקָרֵהּ
וְיַצְמַח פֻּרְקָנֵהּ וִיקָרֵב(קיץ) מְשִׁיחֵהּ
בְּחַיֵּיכוֹן וּבְיוֹמֵיכוֹן
וּבְחַיֵּי דְכָל בֵּית יִשְׂרָאֵל
בַּעֲגָלָא וּבִזְמַן קָרִיב. וְאִמְרוּ אָמֵן
יְהֵא שְׁמֵהּ רַבָּא מְבָרַךְ
לְעָלַם וּלְעָלְמֵי עָלְמַיָּא
יִתְבָּרַךְ וְיִשְׁתַּבַּח וְיִתְפָּאַר וְיִתְרוֹמַם
וְיִתְנַשֵּׂא וְיִתְהַדָּר וְיִתְעַלֶּה וְיִתְהַלָּל
שְׁמֵהּ דְקֻדְשָׁא בְּרִיךְ הוּא.
לְעֵלָּא (לְעֵלָּא מִכָּל) מִן כָּל בִּרְכָתָא
וְשִׁירָתָא תֻּשְׁבְּחָתָא וְנֶחֱמָתָא
דַּאֲמִירָן בְּעָלְמָא. וְאִמְרוּ אָמֵן
תִּתְקַבל צְלוֹתְהוֹן וּבָעוּתְהוֹן
דְכָל בֵּית יִשְׂרָאֵל
קֳדָם אֲבוּהוֹן דִּי בִשְׁמַיָּא וְאִמְרוּ אָמֵן

Religion is a mighty puzzle. That stuff above and to the right is the Mourner's Kaddish. Anyway, as near as I can tell that's what it is. I hope I haven't broken any rules about writing the name of G_d. If I have, please accept my apology. No disrespect intended. It is my understanding that near enough to his death so that it could be called a deathbed request, Jack asked that his sons say the Kaddish.
See. So let's make a short story shorter, shall we? The above chicken scratches are me doing the thing to the best of my ability. It will have to do.

Good Luck with that, Yankel ben Ephriam.

2 comments:

  1. I actually delivered a devar (words) on the last chapter of Genesis. There too was a deathbed request.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked "Daniel" as my Hebrew name. Did not know yours was Ephraim.

    ReplyDelete